What is e-Insurance Account (eIA)?
eIA stands for "e-Insurance Account" or "Electronic Insurance Account". This e-Insurance account gives policyholders access to their life insurance portfolio in a few clicks.
Benefits of an eIA:
- No more physical policy documents
- View and manage all your life insurance policies under a single account
- Changes in contact details once updated with the repository, gets auto updated in all your policies across all life insurers
- Opening eIA is free
IRDA has granted the Certificate of Registration to the following four entities to act as 'Insurance Repositories' that are ized to open e-Insurance Accounts.
- Karvy Insurance Repository Limited
- CDSL Insurance Repository Limited
- CAMS Repository Services Limited
- NSDL Database Management Limited
FAQ on e-Insurance
- What is Insurance Repository?'Insurance Repository' means a company formed and registered under the Companies Act, 1956 (1 of 1956) and which has been granted a certificate of registration by Insurance Regulatory and Development ity of India (IRDAI) for maintaining insurance policies in Electronic form.
- What is the objective of an Insurance Repository?The objective of creating an insurance repository is to provide policyholders a facility to keep insurance policies in electronic form and to undertake changes, modifications and revisions in the insurance policy with speed and accuracy. In addition, the repository acts as a single stop for several policies service requirements. The Insurance repository system also brings about efficiency and transparency in the issuance and maintenance of insurance policies.
- What is an eIA (e-Insurance Account)?eIA stands for e-Insurance Account or 'electronic Insurance Account' which will safeguard the insurance policy documents of policyholders in electronic format. This e-Insurance Account will facilitate the policyholder by providing access to the insurance portfolio at a click of a button through internet. IRDAI has granted the Certificate of Registration to the following entities to act as 'Insurance repositories' that are ised to open e-Insurance Accounts.
- M/s Karvy Insurance Repository Limited
- M/s CDSL Insurance Repository Limited
- M/s CAMS Repository Services Limited
- M/s NSDL Database Management Limited
Customers can choose to open an eIA account with any one of the Insurance Repository The choice of Repository is left to customer. Each eIA will have a unique Account number and each account holder will be granted a unique Login ID and Password to access the electronic policies online.
- Do I need to pay for opening of an e-Insurance Account or on periodic basis?No e-Insurance Account is offered 'free of cost' to customers/applicants. There is no cost of eIA which is levied to be borne by the customer.
- Can any individual open more than one e-Insurance Account with any Insurance Repository?No. As per the IRDAI guidelines, an individual cannot open multiple e-Insurance Accounts.
- What is an e-Insurance Account application form? Where can it be obtained from?An e-Insurance Account application form is one that is used by an individual to open an e-Insurance Account with the Insurance Repository. This form would be available with with us and Insurance Repository. You can visit our website, click on the link and download it through internet.
- What are the requirements to be completed for opening an e-Insurance Account?An e-Insurance Account holder or a policyholder is required to fill the e-Insurance Account form and submit the following documents along with the application:
- How will I come to know that my e-Insurance Account has been opened & how will I receive my User ID & Password?Once an e-Insurance Account is created a pin mailer shall be sent by the Insurance Repository . Using the login credentials and PIN, you can access and start using your e-Insurance Account
- Can I convert my existing paper policies into electronic policies?Yes, it is possible to convert the existing paper policies into an electronic form. A service request can be made to the Insurance Repository or Insurer in this regard. If you are holding policies with different Insurers, then you can apply for separate applications for conversion to the respective insurer.
- If I already have an e-Insurance Account, how do I buy a new policy in electronic form?Once you have opened an e-Insurance Account, to buy a new policy in electronic form, you just need to quote your unique e-Insurance Account number in your new insurance proposal form and electronic policies would be issued.
- Which are the insurance policies that can be held in electronic form?All Life insurance, Health insurance, General insurance & Annuity policies that are issued by registered insurance companies with IRDAI and who have signed up with the Insurance Repositories are eligible to be held in the electronic form.
- What are the benefits of holding insurance policies in electronic form?
The following are the broad benefits of holding insurance policies in electronic form:
- View and manage all your insurance policies online
- No risk or damage of physical policy
- Submit KYC documents only once for all your insurance policies
- Single view of all policies will be made available to an ised person through the Insurance Repository in case of death of the e-Insurance Account holder
- What all policy details will be available in the e-Insurance Account?A list of all policies that are credited will be available in the e-Insurance Account. For each policy, policy level details like the status, commencement, maturity/expiry, assignment, endorsement, address, terms and conditions etc., would be available. In addition, the e-Insurance Account holder will be able to download a copy of the policy bond.
Insurance Repository will maintain confidentiality with respect to the data and shall not use the same for any commercial advantage whatsoever.
- What is the procedure to get changes done in my policy or e-Insurance Account? Should the request be made to the Insurance Company or IR?All requests in respect of either your e-Insurance Account or any of the electronic policies can be made to the Insurance Repository. However, requests in respect of the policies can also be made directly to the Insurer concerned.
Upon a request, the Insurance repository will handle all servicing needs that fall within scope of their services directly and will forward the others to the Insurer concerned. An update to the policyholder will be provided by the Insurance Repository on the status of the request in respect of all the requests that it receives.
- Who is an ised Representative and what is his/her roleAn ised Representative is a person who is appointed by e-Insurance Account holder to operate his/her e-Insurance Account in case of unfortunate demise or incapacity of the e-Insurance Account holder to operate the account. It is mandatory to appoint an ised Representative and only a person aged more than 21 years shall be eligible to be appointed as an ised Representatives. The ised Representative will intimate the Insurance Repository about the demise/incapacity of the policyholder with valid proof. An ized Representative has only access rights to the e-Insurance Account to know the portfolio of insurance policies in the event of demise/incapacity of the policyholder. The ized Representative would only act as a facilitator and policy benefits are payable to the 'nominee' or 'assignee' as per applicable laws.
- Can an ised Representative be changed?Yes. ised Representative can be changed by making a request to the Insurance Repository.
- Can 'Nominee' and 'ized Representative' be the same person?Yes, both Nominee and ised Representative can be the same person.
- What is the grievances redressal mechanism at Insurance Repository?Every Insurance repository will have a policyholders' grievances cell to address the grievances in respect of repository services and electronic policies held by them.
- Is it possible to shift from one Insurance Repository to the other?Yes, the e-Insurance Account holder will have an option to shift from one Insurance Repository to the other. All the policy details and transaction history would then be transferred to the new Insurance Repository.
- How will the ised person deal with the e-Insurance AccountAfter the demise of the e-Insurance Account holder and after settlement of all insurance claims, the ised representative needs to make a request to the Insurance Repository to close the e-Insurance Account.